Monday, November 4, 2013

I Freaking Love Tim Burton

Yes, I know I promised a longer article with more content, but a friend showed me Corpse Bride last night and I kind of loved it, so I'm reviewing it today.  The long article is still coming, I promise!
(not mine)
 
So anyway, I have always adored Tim Burton.  Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my all time favorites, as is Edward Scissorhands.  Something about Burton's dark, artsy style is absolutely beautiful to me, and Corpse Bride featured all of the things I love.  To start with, the music was written by Danny Elfman, which is always fabulous, and there are also some excellent piano pieces in this movie. I have vowed to learn them as soon as I have access to a piano.
Also, there is the cast, featuring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, two of my favorite actors.  Even in voice acting, they are excellent.
The animation is beautiful, with the darkness of the land of the living contrasting with the colors of death.  I liked the symbolism as well as the distinctive "Burton" elements seen throughout.
The story is also lovely; a sad dark love story that somehow left me smiling in the end.
 
Bottom Line: Watch it. 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment